In these weeks, I started a new project, which consists in creating a low cost motorcycle and car data logger, using an Arduino 101. The system is able to log the following info, in real time:
- Fuel Injection Time (injector command timing) [us]
- Engine Speed (rotations per minute) [rpm]
- Throttle Position (signal from TPS, 0-5V range) [%]
- GPS position (latitude, longitude, height)
- GPS time (week time) [s]
- GPS speed (by differentiating GPS position) [cm/s]
- Acceleration (X Y Z axis) and gyroscope info, which may be used to calculate Pitch, Yaw and Roll
Engine related info (injection time, engine speed, throttle position) are obtained by polling the additional ECU which I created for my Honda CBR125R: these info are obtained via Serial Communication.
GPS related info (position, time, speed) are obtained by polling the U-blox NEO-6M GPS receiver, using Serial Communication.
Acceleration and gyroscope info are available inside Arduino 101 (Intel Curie), and can be obtained usign the Curie IMU library.
In the following video, you can see how the data logger looks like. It is just the first version of the project, and I will update the software soon to add more features. At the moment, the software is able to visualize only GPS position (Latitude and Longitude) on the LCD display. However, all info (except for acceleration and gyro data) are logged on the SD card.
The system is composed by the following components:
- Arduino 101 (Intel Curie architecture) - Price: 5,000 Yen
- LCD display (AE-AQM0802 Sitronix ST7032) - Price: 500 Yen
- CATALEX Micro SD Card Adapter v1.0 - Price: 300 Yen
- U-blox NEO-6M GPS receiver - Price: 3,000 Yen
Also including all other additional components (SD card, cables, box), the price did not cross 10,000 Yen (70 Euro). I bought some compoenents in Akihabara, Tokyo (秋葉原、東京) at Akizukidenshi (秋月電子). I bought Arduino 101 on Yahoo Auctions for just 2,000 Yen, and a NEO-6M GPS receiver on Amazon Japan for only 2,500 Yen.